Let’s clarify- with all the tongue-wagging regarding marketing best practices, what we mean to examine here is a campaign, as opposed to a strategy.
Need further clarification? Marketing strategy: one instance of how you intend to promote a product, service, upgrade, etc. Marketing campaign: the overall encompassed, multi-leveled roll out intending to positively promote your business itself, as made up of many services, products, upgrades, etc.
That being said, it is one methodology that every strategy is treated like a campaign itself, but here we find ourselves falling deeper down the rabbit hole than necessary for all intents and purposes of this article.
So what steps can be followed to ensure an effective campaign?
- Start with inception- what’s the idea? What is its goal? How does it portray your company’s message, vision, and culture?
- Organize your thoughts. This step is tedious, no doubt, but will be the most overall influential over the success of the campaign. Deciding what resources will be necessary – who will do what, a timeline, etc. All of these steps will need to be separated into their own organizational flow charts to keep tabs on the many moving pieces at all times.
- Stay laser focused on your audience. At every decision making juncture, your audience should be playing a part. You may find that your audience segments even further as you forage deeper into your campaign- that can be expected, build flexibility into your campaign
- Identify the influencers. Within your niche, there will always be those who ‘control the content’. It can be bloggers, newspapers or specific magazines, news agencies, consumer groups, etc. There are always key players who have the power to make or break you. Identify, befriend, and plug towards them specifically.
- Build relationships with your identified influencers and get hell bent on engaging them and therefore your audience. This is the creative step – think outside of the box, take risks, and employ an all-hands-on-deck mentality to ensure this step goes smoothly.
- Now, it’s time to cultivate your list, tighten it up, push all your marketing efforts into the funnel that reaches that exact customer you envisioned when you dreamt up your campaign!